Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Big One




What a weekend!! We just got back from a fantastic weekend in Parksville on Vancouver Island. On Friday afternoon, Katie and I and our friends Marc, Marcia and her sister Laura who was visiting from the St. Louis area headed down in search of the elusive "big one".

After a "Pro-d day/morning" we caught the 7:00pm ferry on Friday night and headed over to Marc's Mom's place in Parksville. With a stop at BP for pizza we hung out and got to know each other a bit before bed.

On the Saturday morning, Katie and I woke up a little early so we could get a run in. Yes we were those people running on the highway, but just for a little bit before we found the route up this very very steep hill called "little mountain road". Katie said "it doesn't sound daunting, but it was", and I agree, it had to be about 2km of over 10% grade. No word of a lie!!

We got back and then spent the rest of the day kicking it old school, we went to Cathedral Falls for a hike, and then Coombs to see the "license to print money" Goat on Roof market and then we went to an old growth, very cool!

The next day us guys (Marc, Jeff (Marc's cousin), John (Marc's Step dad) and me!) were up at 5:30am and out on the water at 6:06am. We headed off and once we got our lines in, it was on!! Maybe 2 minutes later my line got a strike and I was instructed :) to reel'er in. In pure amateur fashion I did just that. The fish went under the boat a couple of times and I had too much pressure on it but I managed to fight it into the net. It took all of about 5 minutes. It was pretty damn cool!!

We had our lines in for a few more hours and got one more bite but it got away, then the weather came in so we had to head it back into shore. I do have to say there was about a 3 hour period there where I thought I was going to huck my breakfast -oh huh that was about how long we were out there for!! hahahaa. Yeah I pretty much had a queasy stomach for the rest of the day.



We're now back in Penticton getting ready for the first day of school.

Taking names and kicking ass!

GW



A big thanks to Jean and John Pickford for having us this weekend and to Marc, Marcia and Laura for being such good travel buddies with Katie and I.

1 comment: